Starter motor removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter motor removal

Topic originally created by Bryan on July 31, 2005 11:27 AM and viewed 2386 times in the old forum.

Originally posted by Bryan on July 31, 2005 11:27 AM
    FYI. This may work only for a US model. Thanks to help from Aaron and Jeff, I have taken the starter out of my car without removing anything else. Requires a 17 mm wrench for the backside and you have to grind it down to fit. I have done this three times now and can do it in less than 30 minutes. The first time it took 2 hours! http://home.earthlink.net/~f365gtc4/StarterRemoval.htm Jack up car and ensure solid support. Take the right front wheel off. Remove heat shield. The heat shield is held on by the lower (19 mm) starter mounting bolt and by a 10 (?) mm bolt that also attaches one header flange to the block. Lower nut is very easy. I found it easiest to remove both starter mounting nuts first to allow the starter to be slightly rotated in the mounting pount. This allows you to get at the wires easier. Remove upper mounting bolt, 17 mm. You can get at the upper bolt easiest by actually sitting perpendicular to the car, sliding your legs underneath the WELL BLOCKED UP car, and reaching through the gaps. You can even see the upper bolt and can use the ground down wrench by sight, rather than feel. Disconnect wires. A small flathead screwdriver is needed to remove one wire from the starter. There is a locktab on the larger bolt. A small (13 mm, I think) wrench is needed to remove the other wire. Once the motor is completely unbolted and disconnected, rotate so the solenoid is on the top and even towards the block a bit. Then you should be able to move the starter away from the mounting point and rotate the 'pointy' end out from the block. Reverse this to re-install.

Comment

• ldguilbert
      ldguilbert commented
      Editing a comment
      Whoever wrote this removal sequence, could you contact me please? I have to remove my starter and am trying to understand the procedure... Thanks [email protected]
Working...
X