Where is the voltage regulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is the voltage regulator

Topic originally created by JeffLit on August 8, 2005 7:52 AM and viewed 2352 times in the old forum.

Originally posted by JeffLit on August 8, 2005 7:52 AM
    Ian Levy points out that the voltage regulator is located under the dash near the drivers side as shown below (RHD car):

Comment

Originally posted by dbone on August 9, 2005 6:31 AM
      Jeff, what is that toggle switch for near the chock?

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Levy on August 9, 2005 8:43 AM
        I think the switch must be an old immobiliser or similar as the wires are not connected anywhere Ian L

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron on August 10, 2005 4:03 AM
          As an FYI – A solid state Ford regulator works very nicely in place of the original unit and is small enough that it can be placed inside the Marelli cover. Both the Marelli unit and the Ford unit drive the field windings from the high (+) side. The ford unit does not have the low frequency osculation that the Marelli unit has. I switched over years ago but have yet to “repackage” the Ford unit in the Marelli housing. The new technology is much better - Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan on August 14, 2005 11:38 AM
            Aaron: do you know the Ford part number by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron on August 16, 2005 2:39 AM
              I do not have a part number for the Ford Regulator. What I can tell you is that it is a replacement for almost "any" Ford product dating back to 75. All the old Ford alternators with external regulators worked the same regardless of solid state or mechanical regulation. The voltage was measured measured and if it is too low, more curernt is dumped into the field winding, and the reverse if the voltage is too high. (The mechanical unit used a electro magnet and a adjustible spring.) If you want to try one, visit a local Napa auto parts store and and ask for something to replace the mechanical unit in a 77 Ford truck. They cost about $15.00 (isn't volume pricing wonderful) If I recolect correctly, there are two three terminals, one goes to the field, one is the voltage - ignition on voltage same as the marelli unit, and one goes to the idiot light. The case is ground. I'm traveling a bit more these days and a bit less "in touch - I will try to get back to you ASAP if you need more info. Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Levy on August 16, 2005 3:22 AM
                Aaron /Bryan Sorry to gatecrash but I have been on at www.napaonline .com. I don't know which 1977 Ford Truck you arr referring to as there are so many listed with many engine versions. I did find this voltage regulator for $9.99 & there are many others. Just thought it might save you a trip & me some aggro if I ever need one in the UK Regards Ian L UK Mileage Plus Electrical Voltage Regulator - Transistorized Front Item#: MPEVR440SB Price: $ 9.99 tax and shipping not included Disclaimer: The stated price may vary from the in store price and may change at anytime. Usually ships in 24 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by JBishop on August 17, 2005 10:17 AM
                  Hi Guys I just put a Bosch reg in and with a little fiddling it fitted in OK. It was potted in a cast Al casing that had 4mm think walls! Very solid German engineering. So if ever I have a 150mph front end collision at least the voltage regulator will be OK. I would think that almost any new reg will fit as the old Magnetti Merelli case is very big. Unfortunately I did not take any notice of the model number before I put it in. Sorry. Cheers John

Comment

Working...
                  X