Cold Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Start

Topic originally created by JBishop on August 9, 2005 9:43 AM and viewed 2174 times in the old forum.

Originally posted by JBishop on August 9, 2005 9:43 AM
    Hi guys I am a new kid with these cars so this question is really, "What is normal?" On a cold day (that's +15 C or +60 F) I require full choke. The car starts OK, BUT can not be driven for at least 5 minutes, as it will stall immediately if you try to move. In the next 5 minutes (ie between 5 and 10 minutes after starting)the car is difficult to drive as you need at least 2500rpm and the clutch ridden to get going from stationary. This is with half to full choke. Anything less and the car will stall. After about 10 minutes I can go to zero choke and power is OK. After 15 minutes real power is available and I can drive the car hard no problems. Engine is strong and idle is smooth. Is this normal? Thanks John

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLit on August 9, 2005 9:55 AM
      Nope. I live near the beach, often in the 60s, but never much below the 50s. My car has always started up immediately -- sometimes too much so since it doesn't show oil pressure for those first few agonizing seconds. I have never used the choke (in fact the set screws at each carb used to be gone until I replaced them for the car show last year). Just turn the key, let the fuel pumps pressurize, mass the gas once, and turn the key. Starts right up. Could be driven immediately (sometimes I do move it into the driveway rigth away to allow a little window cleaning or some such) but usually I allow some temps to build up. Drives the same cold as warm. Hard to diagnose -- could be carbs or ignition. I'd guess carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by dbone on August 9, 2005 11:55 AM
        Same here. Regardless of how cold the car is, I turn the key, wait for the two fuel pumps to slow their pace down, usually 15 to 30 sec. Want to make sure the fuel lines are pressured and the bowls full, three pumps with the go foot, turn key to start, and two seconds for everything getting to know each other, and its fired up. Aside from the the snarel of the carbs spitting at each other for a few more seconds, oil pressure is up at the same few second period of confussion, I hold the revs at 2000 to 2500 until proper warmup-- a must - I'm good to go -- drive it easy-on-the-engine, until operating temp- then blast off.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Levy on August 9, 2005 5:53 PM
          Greetings from here in warm & sunny Manchester UK !!!!! Never used the choke regardless of conditions & don't think it is connected. I have an immobiliser that cuts out the fuel pumps amongst other things but not the starter. I always turn the engine over for about 15 secs & then deactivate the immobiliser,wait until the pummps slow,two or three pumps of the loud pedal & then turn the key. Starts straight away. Remembering always that this is a great chunk of valves, pistons, chains, gears & other metal I give it a little time for the oil pressure to get up & then drive respectfully until reasonable temperatures are reached. Regards Ian L UK

Comment

Originally posted by JBishop on August 10, 2005 2:27 PM
            Thanks guys. I will have to start looking for reasons why my car is so sluggish when cold. I will try the simple things first like plugs, leads etc and hopefully cure the issue quickly. The car is OK when warmed up so there is no real urgency for me to rectify the problem but it would be nice to be able to drive the car straight away without having to wait 10 minutes for it to warm up. John

Comment

Working...
            X