Windscreen wipers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windscreen wipers

Topic originally created by JBishop on August 24, 2005 12:16 PM and viewed 1889 times in the old forum.

Originally posted by JBishop on August 24, 2005 12:16 PM
    Hi guys Took the car out a few days in the RAIN ! Obviously a mistake. 1. Windscreen wipers were working fine....UNTIL.... the rain eased to a few drops and the windscreen wipers (with stiff older rubber blades) started to struggle with the drying windscreen. 2. They hesitated and then stopped mid screen. I tried to turn them on and off a few times and they moved a fraction in the mid screen area but no further. They traversed a 20 degree arc in the middle of the screen, with both wipers in sync. 3. The last few times I tried to turn them on they did not move at all. 4. I have not tried anything yet, as I thought I would try the experts first to short cut any mistakes in the first place. Thanks John B ps before the rain I had a great time. About 15 old cars with 3 Daytonas, a Lusso, a Dino, a 330GTC, a carby 512 Boxer, 3 C4s etc went for a drive in the country. I was chasing one of the Daytonas moderately hard up a country road and when I looked back in my rear view mirror, there was no road to be seen!! Just the bonnet of a red Daytona was filling my entire rearview mirror. Beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by dbone on August 26, 2005 3:05 PM
      Apparently that Daytona in front of you was slowing you down. And the daytona behind you was just as slow as the one ahead of you-- you just got stuck behind traffic is the way I see it

Comment

Originally posted by JBishop on August 26, 2005 10:00 PM
        Dave I do not know if you are right BUT it is a good thought. Next time I am out with some Daytonas ( or is that Daytonae ?) I will ask them to keep out of the way and NOT hold up faster traffic. I had a good laugh at your post. Thanks John

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan on August 28, 2005 12:49 PM
          Mike Bayer sent the following back when the group was still just e-mail. As to the wiper motors, I agree with an earlier post these Lucas motors get very stiff and only rarely were the cars driven in the wet. I removed the wiper arms and left the switch on, every time I drove the car they were in operation but with out the strain of the blades on dry glass, after about two total hours of such "running" I put the arms and blades on, did the adjustments (you have to have them spot on or the blades will over run the winshield trim) and they ran well and at correct speed.

Comment

Originally posted by JBishop on September 1, 2005 4:43 PM
            I found the problem with the wipers, although I do not yet know how to fix it. The drivers side (left side) mechanism is not engaging correctly. When there is strain applied, it stalls the motor. Anyway can you guys let me know what the mechanism looks like beyond the drivers side connection. My helical drive coil is UNCOVERED ie not sheathed. The rest of it is inside a metal tube arrangement. I assume that a previous owner has had the same problem and cut the end cover tube off exposing the actual drive coil to get at the actual junction of the drive and the wiper shaft. I assume the the drive is completely covered and the end tube terminates in a blind end ie is not open at the end, but closed somehow. It is difficult to see it as it is tucked up hard under the ledge. Thanks John ps a photo would be good.

Comment

Working...
            X