Bellhousing bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bellhousing bolts

Topic originally created by JBishop on September 1, 2005 5:05 PM and viewed 1854 times in the old forum.

Originally posted by JBishop on September 1, 2005 5:05 PM
    A specific question. Are the bolts securing the bell housing to the engine different lengths? ie some short and some longer ones. Also the cover plate that is at the base of the flywheel housing is missing on my car. I assume that it is just a plain Al plate. Can someone post a photo of the under car area just aft of the engine? Jeff From your web site it looks like you do not have a plate there as well. There are 4 threaded holes there so it looks like there is supposed to be a cover plate of some type. Thanks John

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan on September 2, 2005 10:46 AM
      There are two access panels on the bottom of the engine. One is to the flywheel and timing marks, the other is below the throwout bearing. Both have cover plates. The flywheel access panel cover is a thin solid aluminum piece, held with short screws. The clutch access panel cover is drilled aluminum plate about 3/16 inch thick, held with nuts on studs. The plate is soft Al; take care removing it as the fit on the studs is a bit tight. Sorry that I don't have a photo of both in place. My camera is at the shop.

Comment

Originally posted by JBishop on September 4, 2005 4:33 PM
        Thanks Bryan I will make up a Al plate to fit no problem. You wonder why someone would leave it off? Also do you know if the bellhousing/engine connecting bolts are different lengths? The reason for me asking is that some idiot used bolts that are obviously too long, so thay used oversized nuts to pack under the bolt head so they could be tightened. I am wondering if they are bolts from somewhere else OR they used the short ones on the longer holes and then had the longer ones with the shorter holes?? Thanks again for the undercar pics. John

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan on September 5, 2005 12:25 PM
          John: just guessing here some. I understand, but can't confirm from personal experience, that one reason that taking the clutch out of a C4 is so difficult is because certain of the bolts are long and the only way to clear them is to remove the rear end and slide the whole torque tube and differential backwards. I don't know if it is the same bolts about which you are asking.

Comment

Working...
          X