plug wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plug wires

Topic originally created by dbone on September 12, 2005 12:39 PM and viewed 2039 times in the old forum.

Originally posted by dbone on September 12, 2005 12:39 PM
    I'm nearing the completion of my valve job. Once the heads and all the other parts necessary to remove the heads were removed, there was a lot more room under the hood to get at all those little parts and hoses that never get serviced. Needless to say my valve job be came a bigger job- and a lot more detailing. Oh - to my point, does anyone know where to find the white plug wire covers. My car just had plan plug wires- so after market. In all the pictures I see, there appears to be a white sleeving on those wires. I know some other models have red covers- which look better, but I think the white is factory. Thanks in advance dave

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan on September 12, 2005 12:50 PM
      Dave: I have only seen the white covers for sale on full wiring sets, e.g. EuroSpares

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron on September 13, 2005 2:57 AM
        I bought a wire set from Rutlands – original. 7mm read coil type wire, Red, (very substantial) inside a white silicon jacket. Interesting about the white jacket – As of this post, I’m wondering if we cant find a bulk source for that? It is what gets dirty. – Good question. Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by dbone on September 14, 2005 3:29 PM
          I was also thinking of bulk wire. Seems pretty easy to just measure and cut new wires, then slip them through newly cut bulk covering.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan on September 15, 2005 10:48 AM
            There is likely significant friction once you get a bit of the new wire into the new cover and nothing real to push with to overcome the friction. Might work easier to push a stiff wire (straightened out coat hanger ?) through and pull it back with the new ignition wire attached.

Comment

Originally posted by JBishop on September 15, 2005 11:40 AM
              Remember that if you want the set-up to look original, the end of the white plastic cover tubing is flared out over the black spark-plug socket. That would be difficult to do as the diameter of the flared section would be over 2 times that of the other section. If you find a way of achieving it I am sure the others, including myself, would be interested in how you do it. Even the ones from Eurospares that Bryan mentioned don't look exactly right. I THINK the white sleeve goes through all of the clamps so that ONLY about 3 inches of red wire is showing just before the distributor. That's my 2 cents worth. John

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Bayer on September 15, 2005 11:20 PM
                I have looked at dozens of these cars and am convinced the white ignition wire covers are proper, I have a copy of the origional sales brochure that includes several large cards of pictures of the debut car (white) will see tonight what it shows. Michael Bayer #14947

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron on September 16, 2005 3:04 AM
                  I set up my wires when the engine was out – brand new set that needed to be cut to length. It is fairly easy to push the red 7mm ignition through the white silicon jacket. The flair at the end is where the silicon jacket stretches over the spark plug boot, the silicon tubing is just tubing cut to length. GT car parts sold me 5 feet of bulk red wire (during initial installation I cut number 2 too short and needed to re-do it. I slid out the short red wire and slid in the correct length.) I do not really know how far up the red wire the white silicon cover goes – I cut my covers such that they are all about ½ inch from the distributor. Most of the pictures I have seen has the covers cut farther down the wires (closer to the engine) Also – my coils wires have a Red silicon jacket – not white. That is the way they came from Rutlands. Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by dbone on September 17, 2005 3:28 AM
                    Aaron- Can you give me the contact information at GT Parts? Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Bayer on September 17, 2005 10:54 PM
                      dbone: I looked at the set of pictures in the original sales brochure I have, the engine picture shows the white covers are on the wires, they begin after the first loom, the ignition wires are uncovered from that loom to the distributors, of course we know the high level of consistency in the factory processes........Michael Bayer #14947

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron on September 19, 2005 4:06 AM
                        Dave - GT car parts GT Carparts 419 West Lone Cactus Dr. Phoenix, AZ 85027 (623) 780-2200 Has a supply of common Ferrari "wear items" like brake parts, clutches, etc. Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by dbone on September 19, 2005 4:45 AM
                          Thanks guys for the information. Dave

Comment

Working...
                          X