Leather care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leather care

Topic originally created by Bryan on September 12, 2005 12:40 PM and viewed 1894 times in the old forum.

Originally posted by Bryan on September 12, 2005 12:40 PM
    Mike Meehan asked me to post my experience with Leatherique products. I have been quite pleased with the results. I purchased the Rejuvinator (sic) Oil and the Prestine Clean (sic). I have not used any of their other products. The former is used to recondition leather, the latter is used to clean the leather after the Oil is applied and wiped off. The Oil is liberally applied, then I wrap everything in plastic sheeting (drop cloths from a hardware store work great) and let it sit for a day or so. Wipe off any excess and clean with the Prestine Clean. I have treated the entire car, including the mouse fur, twice in the past year and have used a bit more than 16 oz. of Oil and ~12 oz of Cleaner. 32 oz of oil costs $44US and the cleaner is $25US. Other volumes are available. A 32 oz set (32 oz of each) is $55US. The Oil made a big difference in the mouse fur. It doesn't return the soft fuzzy feel, but it returns the overall suppleness to a reasonable extent and makes the black dashboard look black, not gray. Similar effect on the leather; although that wasn't as dried out as the mouse fur. I put a fair bit of the Oil on the lip of the dashboard and just cleaned the glass afterwards. I also applied a lot to the rear deck where the leather is actually under the back window glass. I used one of Griot's blue sponges to push the Oil underneath. Again, I had to clean the glass but it completely removed the dried out appearance. Mike Charness, who writes the monthly Detailing/Concours Tips column for the FCA News Bulletin, posted the following on the NW Chapter site. http://www.ferrariclub.com/faq/leatherdye.html Have also had a couple people mentioned they microwave the Oil for 10 seconds before applying to warm it up and give it more penetrating power. I have not done this...it's warm enough in Houston as it is...

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Meehan on September 15, 2005 11:11 PM
      Bryan , thanks for posting the info re the mouse hair . I hate to think about a redo of it as my material is in fine shape except for the lack of fuzz.

Comment

Working...
      X