Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Originally posted by JBishop on February 21, 2006 7:43 AM
    Thanks Jeff for that cheery optimistic assessment. I will leave it all alone until I have a performance problem with the suspension. The leak is only minor so I might have a few years yet before all the oil drains out. I will give the car a real test this weekend as we will probably do 500 miles on various roads including some twisty mountain roads. Thanks John

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by JeffLit on February 21, 2006 2:00 AM
    Welcome to hell. Those monsters were originally filled with oil and "gassified" by Koni using a special tool. They are not servicable by mere mortals. You'll notice a small socket cap screw on the side of the body. Koni had a special tool that wrapped around the body of the shock, pressurized via that hole, and allowed the cap screw to be inserted and torqued down without losing pressure. Don't try to open that because the contents are under pressure (not sure of the exact amount but my testing indicates in the 200 psi range). When I attempted the rebuild of mine I added a high pressure schrader valve from some modern Penskes in order to allow the shocks to be presurized with nitrogen when I was done assembling them. I filled them with shock oil and bled them manually via exercising the shaft before tightening down the top. Then I used a hydraulic press and a scale-gauge to measure the effective "spring rate" and added nitrogen via the schrader valve until I got it equal to the rate of the spring on the front half of the control arm. The end result was mixed. They worked great for a while but one day I went to the garage and the car was low in back. I was so disgusted by then I never even checked the pressure to see if the pressure leaked or there was some bypass of oil internally. Pulled them off, went to the coilover spring/shock package from T. Rutlands and never looked back. Lots of pictures at jefflit.net/cars/365gtc4/shocks/ .

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by JBishop on February 20, 2006 2:14 PM
    I have a slight oil leak from the rear left shock absorber ie the most aft shocker on the original self leveling system. The suspension seems to work fine but I would like to put in some oil. How is that done?? Thanks John ps we are having a pre '72 V12 outing with about 45 cars this weekend. I will post some photos next week. I understand we will have 5 of the rare C4s and over a dozen of those more common Daytonas.

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Rear suspension oil leak

Rear suspension oil leak

Topic originally created by JBishop on February 20, 2006 2:14 PM and viewed 2966 times in the old forum.
Working...
X