Dashboard air vents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dashboard air vents

Topic originally created by Ian Levy on May 14, 2006 6:01 PM and viewed 1927 times in the old forum.

Originally posted by Ian Levy on May 14, 2006 6:01 PM
    I recall a posting regarding the repair of the dahboard air vents. I have scoured the site but am unable to find it. Can anyone tell me where it is or just let me have the fix details Thanks Ian L

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Bayer on May 15, 2006 9:39 AM
      Ian: What sort of repair have you in mind? I also found when I had my 4 instrument cluster out, I was able to see the defroster duct work has a seal (foam strip) that joins the base wit hthe difusser that had deteriorated, I replaced it with black duct tape, What a difference! M

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Levy on May 15, 2006 5:17 PM
        Michael The post that secures the retaiining wire that holds the vent in place has snapped off. I recall reading somewhere of a fix but don't remember who posted it. I have an idea of a repair but one that has been tried out might be better. I have swopped the footwell vent for the one in the dash. I have already done the repair you mention Regards & thank you Ian L

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Bayer on May 15, 2006 8:41 PM
          Ian: Have not seen it here, have you checked on the 308 and Daytona sites? I believe those vents are like the C/4s, mine are whole, in spite of the hit or miss drilling done at the factory for the retaining cotter pin holes M

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Bayer on May 15, 2006 9:03 PM
            Ian From the Daytona site: No guarantees as to accuracy: PS if anyone out there needs Dash top air vents - I dont know if this is well known or not but one or two of the Pininfarina Peugeots used the same unit. I think it was the 505 model which used two in its dash top - I got 4 from a Peugeot breaker in the UK no problem. Hope that may be of help to someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Meehan on May 15, 2006 9:26 PM
              Ian , a small self taping screw placed in the position of the broken post with a washer to retain the wire should do it. Might want to place a bit of epoxy around the threads. Mike M

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan on May 16, 2006 12:15 PM
                Link to my approach to vent repair Discussed when we were still using e-mail for the group

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Bayer on May 16, 2006 8:52 PM
                  I would add only, paint the hardware and spring black before returning it to the car, I found that managing the spring for reentry was somewhat easier with a notched chopstick than with a screwdriver Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Levy on May 17, 2006 9:07 AM
                    Bryan & the two Mikes Thanks for your replies. It was Bryan's fix that I remember reading so thanks for the link Regards Ian L

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron on May 20, 2006 12:31 AM
                      Ian, I have used this fix - File off what is left of the spring retention post flat. Carefully - make sure you are in the middle and do not drill too far - drill and tap the plastic for 4-40 screw. Also - making new springs is fairly easy - a local hobby shop that sells pano wire (model airplane landing gear wire) I used a bit lighter gauge wire than original – didn’t really think it had to be that stiff. Put a small nail in your vise and tightly wrap the wire around it. It will take a few practice bends to get the correct 180 degree circle small enough. Trim both sides of your wire to correct length. As noted – with a little bit of glue -(I did not use epoxy, thought I might need to take it apart another time) and a washer, and you are good to go Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Levy on May 20, 2006 11:51 PM
                        Aaron Thanks for the info. I have done it now very similar to Bryan's fix & I used a small blob of Superglue to fix. Wire bending no problem with my Orthodontic experience I wondered when I might use my special dental pliers again How is the paint coming? Regards Ian

Comment

Working...
                        X