Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Michael Bayer on April 10, 2008 12:59 AM
    I have always thought the US cars came with the heat shields because the injected air made for a much hotter exhaust temp. If your air pump is off, the temps should be the same as a Euro car. By the way I pulled the air injectors out of my system replacing them with stainless plugs, it made a very significant increase in performance

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Aaron on April 10, 2008 12:14 AM
    Best I can tell, US headers are packed in an insulator and then shielded in an aluminum blanket. My racer friends have always insisted that keeping the exhaust hot through the headers maintains volume and port velocity, such that performance is increased. The other advantage is the reduction in engine compartment heat. I have toyed with the idea of just wrapping the headers – more to reduce engine compartment heat than anything else. Aaron

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Trachsel on March 30, 2008 2:56 PM
    Hi Aaron, I can only say what is on my European car : bare headers with heat shields made of aluminium, with black shrinkcolour on the topside. Jacques

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Aaron on March 29, 2008 3:27 AM
    Does anyone have pictures of US headers with the heat shields on them? And are the heat shields made of aluminum, or stainless? My headers are “bare” - to reduce heat in the engine compartment, (improve exhaust flow) and possibly get it back to more original, I was toying with the idea of fabricating a set. Thanks, Aaron

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Bryan on March 21, 2008 9:05 AM
    Mike: I did this once some time ago, when I was even more a C4 novice than now! I was replacing the exhaust system from the headers back also, so I took everything off from below. However, I still had to take off the carbs to get at some of the header nuts. I took the headers out along with the exhaust, because I wanted to replace the heat shield casing which was rusted on the right side. I wish that I had just taken them off and done what you plan. Maybe someone with better insight was able to do it all from below and leave the carbs in place. If your OEM heat shield is still in place, watch out for the fibers from the glass insulation inside the metal casing. They aren't asbestos, but they can be irritating.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Mike Meehan on March 21, 2008 4:17 AM
    Hi guys, the weather is getting a bit better and as Im soon to be back in the garage I have another job to start on my list. I am going to take the headers off to have them ceranic coated . Any tips on this . Will they come out from the top or from the bottom,any horror stories with gaskets etc. Thanks ,Mike

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Header Removal

Header Removal

Topic originally created by Mike Meehan on March 21, 2008 4:17 AM and viewed 4539 times in the old forum.
Working...
X