oil/water chain tensioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil/water chain tensioner

Topic originally created by TerryL on December 5, 2010 11:09 AM and viewed 2288 times in the old forum.

Originally posted by TerryL on December 5, 2010 11:09 AM
    I know there was a thread some time back about the updated metal chain tensioner for the oil/water unit and someone mentioned T. Rutlands. The only one I see on their website is one for a 400i and they want $648. Is this the same tensioner as for the C4? The one mentioned in the thread was around $85. Any suggestions are welcome.
    Cheers, Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Levy on December 6, 2010 11:08 PM
      Hi Terry
      The correct part number for GTC4 is 114329.but I don't know if is the same on 400i
      I bought one in early 2003 for £31 sterling & it is now available from Ferrari UK at £221.70 sterling +VAT
      (some inflation !!!)
      if you order direct for them to ship to the US you will avoid the added VAT at 17.5 %.
      They now sell it as a kit because the existing stud is 8mm & the attachment hole in the new tensioner is 6mm.
      The kit is a stud,spacer & nut & costs approx £25 evtra & the stud is easily modified by lathe or a new one made.

Ferrari UK number is 00441784436222 & ask for Martin
      Regards

Comment

Originally posted by TerryL on December 7, 2010 9:16 AM
        Hi Ian,
        I guess the fewer they have the more expensive they get. T Rutlands here in the US sold them for $85 according to some of the C4 members. They now want $648. I think I will stick with the old one. Did they havbe problems with the original style tensioner?
        Cheers, Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Levy on December 7, 2010 4:18 PM
          Hi Terry
          I only know of one car that suffered with a failed tensioner due to the plastic parts breaking.
          The tensioner ceased to function properly with disastrous consequences.
          Ferrari must have had other failures so redesigned the tensioner & replaced the plastic bits
          With the expense you are committed to I would really urge you to reconsider & replace the tensioner.
          It really is a flimsy item with such a vital function.
          My view is it would be say $400 well spent if you get it from the UK
          Regards
          Ian L

Comment

Originally posted by dbone on December 8, 2010 12:04 AM
            HI Terry,

Get the new version. Trust me on this, you do not want a melt down on that oil/water pump system. I put one in on my first (and second) rebuild. When the system fails, it tears just about everything up. Mine failed after a engine rebuild with some lesser quality workmanship.
            I could not find the oil/water pump gears - three of them - had to have them made. We had to replace the housing, which were were lucky to find a replacement, but it was the newer version. I needed an early version. Consequently we had to also replace the oil filter housing to accomodate the new version oil/water pump housing.
            You do not want to complete your engine job, only to have to tear it down again to properly repair that system.
            dave b

Comment

Originally posted by TerryL on December 10, 2010 10:47 PM
              Hi Ian and Dave,
              Thank you for your input as usual. Considering the result if the old one did break, it is a cheap solution. I have ordered one from GT Car Parts out of Phoenix.
              Ian,
              I will be in Manchester area for 10 days starting 6 January and would like the opportunity to meet you and see your C4.
              Cheers, Terry

Comment

Working...
              X