Clutch Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Problem

Topic originally created by Ian Levy on July 17, 2014 3:57 AM and viewed 1409 times in the old forum.

Originally posted by Ian Levy on July 17, 2014 3:57 AM
    Hello All
    I experienced a clutch problem today with someting giving way when I depressed the clutch pedal.
    I am only able to change gear up & cannot get any gear if I have to stop.
    I was able to limp the car home by engaging 3rd with clutch depressed , starting the engine & let clutch out slowly.
    I then limped home in 3rd
    The clutch pedal does not return fully to disengaged position.
    Any one experienced anything this?
    I have not had a chance to look yet
    Regarsd
    Ian L

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Meehan on July 17, 2014 7:43 AM
      Hi Ian, I would look to the cable first. Any funny noises? I have seen clutches act this way if one or more of the fingers on the pressure plate are bad.Of course as you well know it could be any of the components.I would also carefully check the action of the fork and make sure it pivots properly off the bell housing. Good luck,Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Levy on July 17, 2014 8:18 AM
        Mike
        As always thanks for your swift reply.
        I just have to get it on a ramp & will check the stuff you suggest
        Cable is my hunch also.
        I will keep you posted
        Thanks again
        Ian L

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron on July 17, 2014 10:11 AM
          Ian,
          I would also be looking at the cable. If it partially broke/stretched such that you could only partially dis-engage the clutch, the clutch would
          drag and try to spin the input of the transmission. Because shifting up is almost self synchronizing, it would be much easier than
          shifting down. Also, because taller gears have a lower numeric gear ration, they would be easier to shift, so it seems to make sense.
          If it was a broken fork, the pedal would go to the floor. If it was a broken finger on the clutch, I would think the pedal would still
          come back up on the over center spring. A partially snapped cable would drag in the housing and tend to limit the travel. Hopefully
          it is the cable - if I recall correctly, it is fairly easy to chang and comparitively cheep to the other items. If it is the cable and there
          is still tension on it, I think I would stuff a block of wood behind the fork and use the adjustment screw that attaches the cable to the fork to releave the tension.
          Good luck with it - as a side note - if it is the clutch cover, I have removed the clutch assembly from under the car by just moving the transmission/torque tupe/diff back
          a couple inches and then taking off the lower clutch housing.
          Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by Trachsel on July 20, 2014 10:30 PM
            Hello Ian, I had the same problem some years ago with my car; it was not the cable, but the cable hose was broken. Check it with the help of one person acting the pedal. Good luck and regards, Jacques

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Levy on July 21, 2014 8:48 PM
              Hello All
              Just replaced the clutch cable & everything fine.
              Fiddly littke job with limited access-surprise,surprise??
              The old cable was intact but some badly frayed broken strands prevented it operating.
              Superformance in the UK efficiently supplied a high quality repalcement cable at a good price.
              Ferrari P/N is 110020 superceding 500636
              Regards
              Ian L

Comment

Originally posted by dbone on July 28, 2014 4:42 AM
                Ian
                Do you have the contact info for Superformance? I checked with Trutlands and this is a special order for them.
                Daveb

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Levy on July 28, 2014 4:50 AM
                  Hi Dave
                  www.superformance.co.uk
                  They have it listed p/n 110020 but not for our cars but it is a perfect replacement
                  Regards
                  Ian

Comment

Washed the car and took it down the road to dry it. At the turnaround spot, in neutral, I pushed in the clutch to find first but a load "pow/pop" sounded under the dash and no clutch. Now there is nothing attached to ref 004 page 019 clutch pedal revised. For the life of me I cannot find the support 39 on page 019. Can someone take a picture or describe its location? Thank you, Bruce

Comment

(39) is bolted to the large cast aluminum piece (1) that the brake booster etc mounts to. All under the hood, directly under the left hood latch bracket. The shaft that holds the pedals runs through piece (1), where bushing (19) is located, and then is sealed from the outside with the grommet (9), The bellcrank (4) is outside the cabin, under the hood, in front of the coil. the only thing clutch-related inside the cabin is the pedal, stop, and the large return spring (13). I suspect your cable broke but maybe you got lucky and just had a loose cotter pin or snap ring. I doubt that the pin 30 would break.

Comment

Jeff,
                        Thank you! It helps to be looking on the correct side of the firewall.
                        Bruce

Comment

I found the pivot, Seeger ring, washer, and split pin all missing.

Comment

Working...
                          X