Blower fabric hose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blower fabric hose

Replaced the original blower fabric hoses with the closes match I could find. The pictures shown on the internet were misleading, I’m not happy with the replacement.
    Has anyone found a supplier with a better match?
    TKS
    TW
    Attached Files

I forget the exact hose I purchased but it was a close match. I know it was from McMaster Carr https://www.mcmaster.com/#duct-hose/=1dkhhyb Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0038.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	9118
    McMaster-Carr is the complete source for everything in your plant. 98% of the products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me Jeff, but that looks like the hose I bought from the manufacturer. They wouldn’t sell me less than 25 or 30 ft. Nothing like the original. I never contacted the big restoration shops.
      Tom

Comment

Hello Tom,
        I seem to remember that this came up before, and the best source was light aircraft spares.
        Neil

Comment

Thanks Neil, good tip, after receiving a quick education on ducting, I may have found a better replacement. Cat 13 with 5/16 wire spacing.
          I struggled installing 3” duct, so I went with 3 ¼”. We’ll see when it arrives. Cat 12 is 3”.
          Tom

Comment

The original one was not black......

Comment

Good tip Neil, I found this using the aircraft search. Sized at 3 ¼ gives a little more room to fit the fender side connection.
              The silk thread was removed from my original air duct after it started unraveling. The new thread was a little too bright so I made
              a sludge using 1/2 charcoal briquette spreading it over the duct, then wiped it down. It seemed to do the trick.
              I removed about 2-3 loops of wire from each end.
              With a run of 500+ cars, there was bound to be some differences. Mine were originally black and here’s a 17.000 mile car recently pulled
              From storage (last picture). Very low S/N, white C/4 (#3 or the photo shoot car) and at least one other original car with black duct like mine. So the yellow may
              have been used in a few builds. There aren’t too many reasons to replace this item.
              Tom

Comment

if not original, this is the best one....different size available

http://www.autosiliconehoses.com/sil...r-ducting.html

Comment

QUOTE=Tom Welsh;n9130]Good tip Neil, I found this using the aircraft search. Sized at 3 ¼ gives a little more room to fit the fender side connection.
                  The silk thread was removed from my original air duct after it started unraveling. The new thread was a little too bright so I made
                  a sludge using 1/2 charcoal briquette spreading it over the duct, then wiped it down. It seemed to do the trick.
                  I removed about 2-3 loops of wire from each end.
                  With a run of 500+ cars, there was bound to be some differences. Mine were originally black and here’s a 17.000 mile car recently pulled
                  From storage (last picture). Very low S/N, white C/4 (#3 or the photo shoot car) and at least one other original car with black duct like mine. So the yellow may
                  have been used in a few builds. There aren’t too many reasons to replace this item.
                  Tom
                  [/QUOTE]

Tom
                  I bought mine from Newco products- looks like the real thing- fabric -- canvas
                  -- I actually have almost 5 ft left of this-- I was going to replace the section from the heater box to the car. That section looks to be plastic or vinyl

Tom
                  I can cut a piece and send it to you as a sample... let me know

https://newcoproducts.com/index.php?...th=45_94_314or

dave
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Dbone; 07-22-2018, 04:26 AM.

Comment

Dbone, here’s what I think, the wire spacing on original duct is fairly close. My 1st picture posted is the original duct along with the wider spaced replacement. Both are single layer fabric although not the same density (stiffness) and my original duct had silk tread wound (between wires) on the outside to maintain shape. Unfortunately it was unsightly and discarded last year. The Yellow/orange duct also has the similar spacing and looks pretty well aged. The 6th picture taken from the 17k storage C/4 can’t be disputed as original and also has same spacing. I found two types of fabric duct available, single and dual layer sized in 1/4 “increments. I went with single layer 3 ¼ to make it easier to install. Pictures on the internet are hard to interpret and I made a mistake with my first purchase. Not a big deal unless your intent on judging and that’s a joke when you get lined up with cars from restoration shops and they’re the judges. Your fabric ductwork looks less dense with increased spacing’ (clamps might be incorrect), somewhat like my first effort. Use whatever you’re comfortable with, that’s why I included the receipt information with the post. I’m no expert and didn’t consult any restoration shops, just DIY research.
                    The fun is driving at 6800-
                    Tom

Comment

Tom,
                      My clamps are not even close to correct- haven’t found a source. If you know of a source let me know.
                      dave

Comment

Debone look at Jeff's picture and the first picture I posted. I think you can find Normetta Clamp Banding here.
                        https://www.belmetric.com/normafix-n...1p1g3qh0rg9vd3
                        Tom N

Comment

Thanks Tom

Comment

Previously I indicated that I had discarded the original air ducts and couldn’t post a picture showing the silk thread wrap. I just noticed the additional duct tucked under the fender. Both of the pieces I discarded resembled the original passenger side pictured here. What is a little odd is the driver side is somewhat different and appears to be a heaver duty. Anyway, the replacements are a good match to the two I discarded. The silk threads were unraveling and I gave up trying to reattach them. Neil had the solution, it's not auto duct.
                            TW Platinum Sunday Skippack PA pic FerrariChat
                            Last edited by Tom Welsh; 05-23-2019, 02:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X