Car Painting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Painting

On or about 10/31/19 a transport will arrive in Providence to take my car down south to be painted. Tom Yang is helping with this project and recommended Farrell Creation & Restoration (https://www.farrell-restorations.com/ ) in Moorseville NC.Their website has pictures of a total restoration of C/4 they just completed. The repaint is going to be in Blue Sera (currently is fake amaranto ) rather than return the car it's original Verde Medio Nijinski - a little out-there for me (and I suspect police too . I find it rather amusing that an Italian Stallion is heading into the heart of NASCAR. Mooresville is " Race City USA", the home of numerous race shops like Wood Brothers, Penske and JR Motorsports.

The engine bay is in good shape and the motor just rebuilt so that can stay in the car and keep the costs down somewhat. I have not talked to Tom Farrell yet but I will get pictures along the way which I will try to share.

Cheers,

Sam

That's exciting. Blue looks great on these cars, although I think Nijinski is a stunning color, also. And so very 70s.

Comment

The car has left for Mooresville

Comment

OK, it's time to show you the progress on painting 14953. Here are some pics for you to enjoy. Note the one with the two colors showing - the green is the original verde medio nijinsky and i believe only 17-19 cars came out this color so relatively rare. At this point 4 layers of paint removed (3 red and 1 green), body is straight, no rust issues to speak of and only a bit of bondo used in one headlight bucket - all good news. Note also the engine was left in the car because that compartment is fine.

Comment

Here is another update -

Comment

Things are moving fast at Tom Farrell's shop. The car is painted! 5 coats including base and clear coat with hand rubbing in between. You can judge the results in the pictures. Especially note the deepness of the paint in the shot with the coffee cup on the hood. Front bumper was stripped of paint and rubber restored. Tom Yang sourced a rear bumper in Italy from a company that restores Italian car parts. The bumper with tariff cost less than 1/2 a NOS bumper from conventional sources. Yea! Now Toms F & Y and scrounging around for rubber gaskets, window felts etc. so the car can be fully assembled. I asked Tom Farrell to purchase and mount new vintage size Michelins to replace the Pirelli P4000's that have been on the car since 2006. I will talk to him about doing scheduled maintenance too so I can hop in for a long drive when the car is delivered back to Rhode Island. I will send more photos on completion. Enjoy the pictures.
            Last edited by sam hallowell; 06-29-2020, 06:28 PM.

Comment

The exterior restoration is coming to an end. Some small chrome pieces and badges have yet to be fitted and general maintenance has begun. I declined at this point a suggestion to restore the interior. I find it OK. The carpets and hood liner are original, in good shape and I had the seats and mouse fur (not original but a close, sun resistant copy) redone a few years ago. Click image for larger version

Name:	Almost done.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	322.4 KB
ID:	9405Click image for larger version

Name:	ALMOST.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	465.4 KB
ID:	9406

Comment

Hi Sam, sorry i missed this post. The car looks great . A perfect color choice along with the black bumper. All the best,Mike

Comment

Hi Mike,

The car is done! Tom Farrell is putting some miles on to make sure she is running well before he brings the car north. It has been almost a year since she left RI and I cannot wait to get behind the wheel again. Click image for larger version

Name:	completed 1.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	9411Click image for larger version

Name:	completed 2.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	9412Click image for larger version

Name:	completed 3.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	9413

Comment

Hi Sam, thanks for the full face shots. It looks just great. I dont care what others think but the C4 does not get the respect it deserves. Once again a great color choice and appears to be top notch work.Happy trails, Mike

Comment

Thanks Mike. The car should be on its way soon though bad weather down south has delayed things a bit. Your spare bumper will be coming with it. If Tom Y can make the trip to RI for the unveiling I will ask him to take it back to NY. If not, I will have it shipped to you.

Comment

The car was delivered by Tom Farrell to me on 10/23/20, 366 days after it left for North Carolina. Here are a couple of pictures. The top picture includes John Tirrell, myself, Tom Yang and Tom Farrell. The bottom picture is a shot of the car that day on Ocean Drive in Newport RI. Tom Y and I drove around there to see how the car was running......It was great!
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	14953_31.jpg Views:	0 Size:	190.3 KB ID:	9447 Click image for larger version  Name:	gtc4 oct 2020.jpg Views:	0 Size:	148.9 KB ID:	9448

Comment

It looks lovely. The dark blues are a great color on these cars.

Comment

Thanks Jeff. I totally agree. I spent a lot of time studying the various period colors. I do not like black on the C4, to harsh and sinister to my eyes, and I gravitated to the blues. Blu Sera does a good job of blending well with the bumpers, especially on cloudy days.
                            Last edited by sam hallowell; 11-16-2020, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X